“Teach Us to Pray Pt. 1”
Point 1: The Lord’s prayer is a model, not a mantra.
Six Elements to the Lord’s model for prayer:
- Invocation – We welcome and recognize that God is our Father and those who believe are his children.
- Consecration – We worship a holy God who is worthy of our reverence and to be set apart in our affections.
- Domination – We long to see the full reign and rule of God on the Earth.
- Supplication – We make requests of our Father as his beloved children.
- Expiation – We confess our sins anticipating his mercy and likewise show the mercy we desire to others.
- Temptation – We ask that as we follow God with our lives he would extend to us spiritual protection against the allure of evil.
Scripture cross references: Luke 6:2; 9:16; 1 Kings 18:26-29; Matthew 6:5-7; 6:9-13; 1 Chronicles 29:11; Psalm 145:18; John 17:1-4; 1:12-13; Romans 8:15